Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter!


Happy Easter everyone! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to spend my Easter with my family because I had to work from 7am to 11am today...le sigh. Some of us have to go in to clean and feed the animals, but at least we were able to leave early and relax for the rest of the day. The plus side is that I got to see some of my furry friends and wish them a Happy Easter :) I was going to bring them some goodies but I got crunched for time, so I'm going to make it up to them somehow. Yummy treats maybe?

The puppy in the top picture is named Rebel; he's a 7 month old Whippet mix with blue eyes and huge dumbo-like ears. He was adopted the day after he came in, which doesn't surprise me since puppies never last at the shelter. They go home so quick which is awesome! But I also try to remind people about the perks of adopting an older pet. Anyways, here's a video of the crazy Rebel playing tug-of-war with me.

 
I also have a new buddy at the shelter named Rory, a 9 month old Great Dane/Dalmation mix boy. He came into the shelter about 2 weeks ago and had to have a minor surgery to remove a lump on his back. He is in recovery now and will be put up for adoption soon after he completely heals. Rory is my current project; he is VERY skittish of people and whenever any of us walks by his cage, he runs to the back and cowers in the corner. It breaks my heart that such a young puppy is so scared of people and it makes me wonder what must have happened to him earlier, in his critical period of puppyhood? Those first few months are the most important time period in getting a dog socialized with people and other animals. It is much more difficult to socialize an animal after that time period, but it is still very doable! It just requires a bit more time and patience. This is Rory:


Here are some more pictures of Rory - notice the last picture with the arrow pointing to the tail in between his legs. I hope I can show you all pictures of his progress and maybe even one of him playing!



I was able to walk him the other day and once I got him out of his kennel and into the rec yard, he began to loosen up a bit and started smelling everything around him. He seemed more comfortable and actually came up to me to be petted and then sat right next to me. Progress! I hope to work with him more this week and increase his chances of getting adopted by working on his behavior using positive methods. He is so young and deserves a chance of being adopted into a loving home. Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment