Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bogart the Boxer

Adoptions, adoptions, adoptions...I started doing adoptions this past Sunday and did my first adoption application all by myself yesterday; and wow is it a lot to learn! It's a heck of a lot of paperwork to learn how to do and make sure that everything is done right. Thankfully I'm very comfortable with talking to people (and the public) and explaining/educating them about our pets and how to take care of them. I'm thankful that in my college years (can't believe I can say that), I've learned a lot about public speaking and being self aware when speaking to others. So with all that experience, the talking part of doing adoptions came easy to me, it was the all the paperwork that made me nervous! I didn't want to forget anything while going through the information with the adopters or leave anything out. Luckily I got the hang of it fairly quickly and was able to do my first adoption alone yesteryday. 

That feeling you get after an application is approved is pretty amazing; and after doing all the paperwork and watching the dog (or cat) walk out that door to their new home is even more rewarding. The part I'm not really looking forward to is denying an application...and so far I haven't had to do that. But I know that day is going to come eventually and I've seen how some people react to that denial...and sometimes it doesn't go so well! It doesn't happen often but when it does, there is a reason why it's not in the best interest of the animal to go home with that person. There are the usual reasons such as the landlord won't allow them or there is a weight limit at an apartment complex.

Remember Lucky Charm? Well he ALMOST got adopted out a week ago, and when we called the apartment to see if they allowed dogs; they said they only didn't allow Pitbulls. UGH! That's sadly a common reason why we have so many Pitbulls that can't get adopted, because of insurance policies and landlords who won't allow them. I don't even want to get started on that topic right now. So far, I've done 4 adoptions and I was able to approve all of them. Woohoo! :)

And now here's a video of a fun loving boxer named Bogart that was recently adopted out. I took him out to play the other day and found out the he LOVES water! Enjoy the video!


No comments:

Post a Comment